Green Hippo FAQ
How can I become a participant?
You can become a participant by registering on our website. Registering takes less than 2 minutes! We welcome everybody to participate and help preserve our environment. Individuals, schools, charities, groups, businesses, sports teams, religious organizations, non-profits, etc! Help preserve our planet and earn cash at the same time! It's a win-win! Register Now!
What do you buy?
We buy e-Waste! Please check our price list for qualifying items to ship. Below are items we currently buy:
- Empty inkjets and laser toner cartridges.
- Cell phones/iPads/tablets
- New unused OEM inkjet &or laser toner cartridges.
Do you have minimums for free shipping?
Yes we do. To receive free shipping you must have a qualifying order. A qualifying order is at least 20 qualifying items or 20 pounds of qualifying items (the items must be on our price list).
Green Hippo pays all shipping costs when all the "minimums" are met. It is very important that you make sure your order is entered properly. Please make sure you understand the difference between virgin, non virgin and OEM before you enter your order. If your order arrives and was entered incorrectly the freight charge may be deducted from your payment.
What if I only have a few qualifying items and don't meet the minimum?
If you have items to recycle but are unable to meet the minimums for a qualifying order, here are some options for you:
- Save your items and collect more qualifying items until you have met the minimums.
- Introduce Green Hippo to organizations that need to raise money such as schools, religious groups, boy/girl scouts, spots teams, charities, non profits, etc. They have a better chance at aquiring a large quanity of qualifying items and receiving the FREE shipping.
- Ship the items to us at your cost and we can recycle them properly.
What is a qualifying item?
A qualifying item is any item on our price list list that meets the following criteria:
- Any virgin cartridge that is prices at .10 or more.
- Any OEM cartridge on our price list.
- Most smartphone's (Apple, Samsung, etc).
- If you have over 150 non virgin cartridges (ink or laser) please contact us so we can let you know if they qualify for payment &/or free shipping.
- We will accept under 150 non virgin inkjet cartridges, however, they must be included with a qualifying order.
- We will accept items priced at or under .05 cents, however, they must be included with a qualifying order.
- We have a minimum payout of $5.00. If your order is received and is valued under $5.00 we may hold the payment until your balance is over $5.00. If you have any questions regarding the minimums please contact us
What are virgin and non-virgin cartridges?
Both "virgin" and "non-virgin" cartridges are "EMPTY/USED" cartridges. They no longer have ink in them.
- A "virgin" empty will have the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) label such as HP, Canon, Brother, Lexmark, etc. still on the cartridge label.
- A "non virgin" will have a different label such as Office Depot, LD Products, Premium, Remanufactured. When an empty cartridge has the original label such as HP, Canon, Brother, Lexmark, etc. and has drill holes or caps with tape, it is a "non virgin".
What is an OEM cartridge?
- An OEM cartridge is brand new. They are cartridges which are still in the foil or original wrapping inside the original, unopened box. OEM cartridges will have ink &/or toner in them and have the original emblem such as HP, Lexmark, Canon, Brother etc.
- Unexpired OEM cartridges are worth up to 3x the amount of the empty cartridge. When the OEM cartridge has an "expired" date you will be paid the "virgin" price for it.
- If they do NOT have the original emblem and are labeled something different such as Premium, Compatible, LD Products, Remanufactured etc…they are considered recycled or remanufactured cartridges, these are NOT OEM.
- If you do not have the original box it is OK, just make sure the original cartridge is still in the original foil and the foil is NOT damaged.
- If the foil is damaged or punctured you will be paid the "virgin" price for it. Please pack them carefully to avoid damage.
Do you accept and pay for LD/4inkjets products?
Yes, we accept all cartridges for proper recycling! However, if they are NOT listed on our website, we do not pay for them and they don't count towards free shipping.
If you have items not listed on the website and do not want to pay the shipping to us, two other options are:
- Introduce Green Hippo to organizations that need to raise money such as such as schools, religious groups, boy/girl scouts, sports teams, charities, non profits, etc. They have a better chance at acquiring a large quantity of qualifying items and receiving the FREE shipping.
- Try www.earth911.com
How can you pay top dollar?
We are able to pay you top dolar because we have:
- Over 20 years of relationships with industry vendors
- Participants using online processing & recycled/used boxes
- Participants sending in quality items packed properly so they do not damage in transit
- These 3 factors allow us to save on overhead, shipping and inspection cost. These savings are then passed on to you in the top dollar we pay per item!
When do you pay me?
You are paid immediately after your items are inspected, without any delays via PayPal or check. We are the fastest paying online recycling program available! If you select payment by PayPal it is immediate, if you select payment by check it is mailed to you and could take up to 10 business days depending on your location.
Is there a price guarantee?
Yes, there is a price guarantee.
- Green Hippo pays for all items on the price list located on the website.
- All prices are valid for 30 days from when you submit your order. So please ship as soon as you can!
- Green Hippo only pays for items which PASS the inspection process so please make sure your items are packed properly inside the box.
What is a "damaged" & "not acceptable" item?
All items must be in perfect condition when they arrive to us, otherwise, they could be considered damaged and/or not acceptable. Below are some reasons your item might be considered damaged and/or not acceptable:
- Phones/tablets that have broken screens, missing buttons, broken cases, etc.
- Missing printheads on empty inkjets.
- Empty inkjet printheads that are scratched, broken, punctured, dinged, etc.
- Empty laser cartridges that have missing parts, broken cases, etc.
- Items not on the website are "not acceptable"
Empties that are NOT in perfect condition will not be paid for so please make sure your items are packed properly inside the box. Please click here to view our inspection guide and click here to view our packing and shipping instructions.
How do I pack and ship my items?
We want you to pack and ship your items properly so they don't damage in transit and YOU receive FULL price. Below are some easy video tutorials and pictures to help guide you through the packing process:
Avoid Damage > How to Wrap Cell Phones, Wrap Laser Toner and How to Position Inkjets When Inserting into a Box
Inkjet Only Box > How to Position and Pack Inkjets Only--Do NOT Individually Wrap
Laser Toner Only Box > How to Wrap and Pack Laser Toner Only
Mixed Box > How to Pack a Mixed Box With Cell Phones, Laser Toner & Inkjets Together
Boxes with mixed items:
- Over 90% of damage occurs during transit so it is vital that your items are packed properly to avoid damage. MOST DAMAGED ITEMS ARE NOT PAID FOR
- Please use a box that will fit your items securely. We prefer a used/recycled box to help close the environmental loop! If you don't have any boxes we can provide them upon request
- The box cannot exceed 60 pounds and be no bigger than 30x20x16. If it is heavier please use more than one box
- Please click here to view our inspection guide
If you are shipping ONLY inkjets and/or cell phones:
- Wrap the lasers individually with newspaper or bubble wrap and use a smaller box inside the larger box for the inkjets and cell phones. In this smaller box please make sure the inkjet printheads are not touching each other, this will damage them. Once the mixed box is full please fill the remainder of space with newspaper or bubble wrap
- Please click here to view our inspection guide
Individual item shipments
- Please make sure the inkjet printheads are not touching each other, this will damage them. Fill the remainder of space with bubble wrap or newspaper.
- Inkjets - fill the appropriate size box with all inkjets. Please do not wrap the empty inkjets individually unless you are shipping with toners or cell phones. It is very labor intensive for us to remove inkjets from the wrapping. Fill empty space with bubble wrap or newspaper.
- Laser /Toners- wrap each cartridge with newspaper or bubble wrap & remove from original boxes, consolidating all into one large box. Fill empty space with bubble wrap or newspaper.
- Cell phones - if shipping only cell phones please individually wrap them. Fill empty space with newspaper or bubble wrap.
- iPad/Tablets - if shipping only iPad/Tablets please individually wrap them. Fill empty space with newspaper or bubble wrap.
- Please click here to view our inspection guide
Do you pay for UPS pickup?
No we do not. If you call for UPS pickup. GH will NOT reimburse for the charge.
- Please print the label & attach it to your box.
- Leave your box with the UPS driver or drop off at UPS location.
Where do I ship?
All items are shipped to our California Corporate Office
300 S. Lewis Rd. Suite K
Camarillo, CA 93012
Do you pay for broken cell phones or iPad/tablets?
Yes we do! Some broken/non working phones or iPad/tablets do receive a payment. However, the payout is less than the listed price and per our discretion. All broken items we pay for are listed on the price lists. If you do not see your broken item please contact us and we will let you know if we accept it.
**Broken/Non working phones received will NOT be returned**
Cell Phone/iPad/Tablet- Like New or New Condition Eligibility Criteria
he device must match the exact version displayed on the Green Hippo Website. (If you do not see your exact device please contact us)
To be paid FULL price your device it must:
- 100% Functional (All functions & buttons working properly)
- Phone screen and body are not broken or cracked
- The battery & back cover must be included
- Must have a "clean" ESN/MEID/IMEI
- DEVICE CANNOT BE LOST OR STOLEN PROPERTY
*For your security please delete & clear all memory & information from the cell phones. Contact your wireless provider & terminate the service.
**Please include any accessories included with the device: handset, battery, charger, cables, memory card, quick-start guide, original manufacturer box and user manual. You will not be deducted if you do not have these items.
*To ensure participant privacy, items with data will be wiped upon inspection. If an SIM card is discovered in the cell phone, it will be destroyed.
**Broken/Non-working devices will NOT be returned**
What is an ESN / MEID / IMEI?
The ESN stands for electronic serial number and is the standard of reference for your device's identity to your wireless service provider. IMEI and MEID are other acronyms that reference the same number.
These numbers are generally located:
- Cell phone
- Under the battery on the manufacturer's sticker, or engraved on the back towards the bottom.
- On the back towards the bottom.
*If you have access into your device, these numbers can also be found under Settings > About
**If you can't find your ESN/MEID/IMEI, you can contact the wireless service provider. They can provide you with these numbers if you were the account holder for the device.
How do I know if my device's ESN/IMEI/MEID is clear?
Please contact your carrier's customer support line below:
(Phone number valid as of September 2013)
- AT&T 1-800-331-0500
- Verizon 1-800-922-0204
- T-Mobile 1-866-2453
- Sprint 1-888-211-4727
- US Cellular 1-888-944-9400
I have a large order to ship
If you have a large-volume shipment, boxes should be packed on pallets and shrink-wrapped. Please call us to request a pick up by phone 1.855.304.4776 (855.30.Hippo) (local) 1.805.987.7000 or by emailing us at: email@example.com and we will respond within 24 hours!
What do I do with items that you do not accept and are not on your list?
We accept all items for proper recycling! However, if they are NOT listed on our website, we do not pay for them and they don't count towards free shipping.. Please contact your local waste or recycling management department to learn how to recycle the items properly. You can also visit www.earth911.com to find a location near you!
What does Green Hippo do with items that are not accepted?
Green Hippo properly discards all inkjet cartridges, laser cartridges and cell phones which are not accepted and cannot be recycled in full agreement with all local, state and federal regulations. There is no waste derived from the tear down of these items and all accepted items are sold intact. Items that are deemed not reusable and not accepted are sent to independent companies where they are then disassembled. All workable elements are reused and all the discards are eliminated in agreement with all suitable measures related to those components.